Composite Materials and Technologies Research Centre
Research HeadDr. Rahul Cadambi Murali
The Composite Materials and Technologies Research Centre (CMTRC) focuses on the development of end-to-end design and technology by offering cost effective solutions to problems in composites industries, the development of green composites and the recycling of composites. Focusing on aerospace and high-performance applications, we conduct materials research and development to better understand the fundamental physics of the material’s response to external conditions by developing the simulation and modelling of composites failure and analysis. The research centre is also focusing on collaborating with MSME and research laboratories by bridging the gap with academics. We are incubating various composites industries to cater to the demands of the industries, and are working towards transferring technologies to the industry. By involving UG, PG and research students, we are honing future engineers with the required skills and capabilities. We encourage them to gain exposure by participating in various international competitions. We are also working towards our work getting published in research publications and filing patents.
Capabilities of CMTRC
The CMTRC is currently involved in the manufacturing and processing of Additive (AM), Autoclave, VARTM, RIM, and the design of FEA – ANSYS, MSC Nastran, Hypermesh, Solidworks and CATIA Design. Adhesive Bonding Technology, Nanocomposite Coating, EMI Shielding and Environmental Conditioning are the current bonding and coating techniques used. We also have a Thermal Analysis Lab, Mechanical Testing, NDE and NDT, for characterisation and testing.
Along with the above capabilities, CMTRC can provide end-to-end solutions i.e., perform composite lay-ups, processing and specimen fabrication. We have experience with all types of fibers, matrices, core materials, etc. With the combination of fabrication and testing at CMTRC, complete prototype development can be accomplished at a single location.
- Development of Out-of-Autoclave Technologies under Karnataka Council for Technological Upgradation (KCTU), Government of Karnataka
- Development of Thermally Conductive Elastomeric Composites for Liquid Cooled Garments to Mitigate Thermal Stress (LSRB-DRDO)
- Development of Portable and Quick Deployable Composite Bridge – UG Students team selected for Final Phase to Smart India Hackathon 2020
- Development of Folded Core Sandwich Structure – UG Project
- Development of CFRP Soccer Shin Guard – UG Project
- Development of Filament Winding Machine – PG Project
- Delamination Studies of GFRP and CFRP during Drilling Operation – PG Project
- Optimisation of Drill Geometry for CFRP and GFRP – PG Project
- RUAS team participated in World Composites Battle held in Kazan, Russia and Moscow, Russia
- RUAS team placed 5th among the list of participants in Composites Battle during 2018 edition held in Moscow, Russia
Projects in Incubation
CMTRC has incubated a Composite Industry, Valdel Advanced Technology Pvt. Ltd. located in RUAS Peenya Campus
At CMTRC, we are committed to the development of engineering composite materials components using contemporary and futuristic technologies.
- To develop new technologies like ‘Out-of-Autoclave’ technology.
- To develop modelling and simulation tools for the design of composites and also a better understanding of their failure mechanisms.
- To design and develop new cost effective and ecofriendly engineering solutions for a wide range of applications.
- To identify and replace existing metallic components with composite materials to reduce the weight and improve the performance of the component/system.
- To study a wide range of materials and develop prototypes.
- To transfer technologies developed for commercialisation and entrepreneurship.
- To disseminate knowledge on concepts and practices of composites technology.
The certified Composites Manufacturing and Testing Laboratory contains a wide array of equipment for processing and evaluating adhesives, primer, fiber-reinforced polymer matrix composites, nanocomposites, and plastic materials used in military and commercial applications. Other facilities available include:
- Composite Curing Oven
- Resin Transfer Moulding (RTM)
- Modular Vacuum System with Dual Vacuum
- Differential Scanning Calorimeter (DSC)
- Dynamic Mechanical Analysis (DMA)
- Universal Testing Machine (UTM)
- Ultrasonic Flaw Detector (A and C Scan)
- Ultra Violet-Visible (UV-Vis) Spectrophotometer
- Cone & Plate Viscometer
- Digital Viscometer
- Digital Rheometer
- Clean Room
- Weighing Balance
- Micro Precision Balance
- LAP Laser Projector
- Radian Laser Tracker
- Software Tools and CAD Packages
- MSC Nastran
- CATIA V5
- Composite Materials and Technologies Research Centre (CMTRC)
#470-P, Peenya Industrial Area, 4th Phase, Bengaluru-560058
Phone: 080 25555555