ORAL CANCER RESEARCH CENTRE
Research HeadDr. Sowmya SV
Since its inception in 2015, this Centre has managed to accelerate research in the field of oral cancer and precancer. OCRC centre works as a team in association with clinicians. It focuses on Diagnostic Pathology and Molecular Diagnostics in collaboration with Faculty of Life and Allied Health Sciences, Ramaiah medical College and Hospital and other sister Institutions.
Oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) is the third most common cancer in India and the major risk factors are widely known. Even with the provision of advanced treatment modalities, the morbidity and mortality rates still remain high in India. The low socio economic groups in India are the most affected due to a wide exposure to risk factors such as smoked and smokeless tobacco. Firstly, it is diagnosed at advanced stages which result in low treatment outcomes and considerable costs to the patients. Secondly, the low socio economic group have inadequate access to trained providers and limited health services. Earlier detection of oral cancer offers the best chance for long term survival and has the potential to improve treatment outcomes and make healthcare affordable.
OSCC patients have high potential for invasiveness through regional lymph node metastasis and recurrence. Exact reasons for recurrence and metastasis are yet unclear. Several factors may contribute to treatment failure, and our primary interest relates understanding the biological behaviour of OSCC at molecular and cellular levels
To establish Translational Oncology Research Platform with a multidisciplinary approach
Proposed Research work
- To pursue multidisciplinary clinical and applied research on oral cancer to address the current challenges from local and global perspectives for providing an affordable treatment modality
- To explore and adopt validated advanced diagnostic tools at a molecular level to analyse, detect and prevent oral cancer
- To investigate the genetic basis of susceptibility of individuals to oral cancer
- To analyse the characteristics of specific genetic markers to establish the relationship between the cause, course and progress of oral cancer
- To apply the evolving concepts of Pathogenesis and Molecular Diagnostics to research on oral cancer
- To disseminate knowledge on concepts and practices of clinical research and treatment modalities in oral cancer
- To develop and pursue joint initiatives for collaboration and partnership with Universities, Research Centres and Industries to offer solution to detect and prevent oral cancer
Research Projects, Awards and Patents
Project funded by VGST, GoK under Research Fund for Talented Teachers (RFTT) scheme
Faculty: Dr. Roopa S. Rao from Department of Oral Pathology and Microbiology, Faculty of Dental Sciences, RUAS
Title: Prognostic Significance of ALDH1, Bmi1 & OCT4 in Oral Epithelial Dysplasia and Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma. GRD: 631
Dr. Roopa S Rao
- Research Faculty Awards by Careers 360 was conferred by honourable Union Minister of HRD minister Prakash Javadekar for top 10 knowledge producers in India for the Academic year 2017 – 2018 on 20th of March 2018 at New Delhi.
- Adarsh Vidya Saraswati Rashtriya Puraskar on 2nd October 2018 by President Global Management Council for Academic research. Also, was nominated as a member of the editorial Board.
- International Association of Research and Developed Organization IARDO Award- 2018 for the contribution of research in Dental Sciences was conferred on 28th of October 2018.
(Affiliated to RTU and approved by All India Council for Technical Education New Delhi)
Dr. Dominic Augustine
- Awarded 1st Prize for presenting “Expression of iNOS in Carcinomas and Sarcomas affecting the oral cavity in National Triple’O’ Symposium, FDS RUAS, Bengaluru on March 2015
- Awarded Best scientific presentation for presenting “Cytotoxic and Apoptotic Induction effect of earthworm coelomic fluid on Oral Squamous cell carcinoma cells” in 2nd World Cancer Congress and 2nd world congress on Drug discovery & development 2018, Conducted by Bangalore Healthcare Summit, 2018 on 25th& 26th September 2018 at Royal Orchid Resorts & Convention Centre, Bangalore
Dr. Sowmya SV
- Awarded Best scientific paper award in the Scientific Session for presenting “Immunophenotypic evaluation of tumor budding and Epithelial- Mesenchymal transition in the early detection of metastasis of Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma using MATLAB software” at the XXVIII National Conference of the Indian Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathologists held at Kovalam, Thiruvananthapuram from 1st to 3rd November, 2019.
- Roopa S. Rao, Shankargouda Patil and Amrutha Nagaraja “Method, System and Apparatus for Microwaves Tissue Processing” Indian Patent Application: 2948/CHE/2014, June 17, 2014.
- Roopa S. Rao, Shankargouda Patil and Dr. Ganavi B. S. “A Fixative Solution for Tissues” Indian Patent Application: 3276/CHE/2014, July 03, 2014
To advance knowledge in oral cancer through quality research to impact the society
- Maintain an extensive Oral Cancer Database & establish a Biorepository with high quality & integrity of specimens through ethical transparency to advance the cancer research
- Accelerate cancer research to develop diagnostic markers for early detection , prognostic and predictive tools and therapies
- Promote the development of new drugs, devices, and other medical interventions
- Create unique training opportunities for budding scientists and encourage new talent to explore basic science research
- Explore the possibilities to collaborate/MOU with Reputed Private labs, Institutions, Hospitals @National and International levels
- Gain access to new funding streams to support both institutional and individual projects
- To drive quality research publications in impact factor journals
Penta head Research Microscope with the following attachments such as bright field, phase contrast, dark field, polarizing with image analysis Software. In addition we have Camera for Photomicrography — Jenoptik Progres Gryphax Arktur and Stereomicroscopy
- Blood Investigations
- Diagnostic Pathology
- Immunohistochemistry Laboratory